Monday, May 10, 2010

Summer Selection

Although I've known many deeply faithful people in my life, I've never met a person yet who is completely satisfied with the quality of their prayer life. No matter how blessed someone is by the gift of prayer, there always seems to be a desire to be able to spend more quality time in prayer, to be more focused in prayer, and to have prayer become a natural part of the day and not just one more thing we're "supposed to do."

That's why I was determined to choose a book on prayer for my summer recommendation.

And once I started checking around, I kept coming across the same title---God, Help Me: How to Grow in Prayer by Jim Beckman.

I kept hearing about how much of an impact this book was having on its readers. I kept hearing about how this book was a prayer book for people of all ages and at all stages of their spiritual walk. And I kept hearing how this book was one of the most practical new guides for prayer on the market.

I think you'll agree that this is a book that lives up to the hype.

Right from the opening pages of the book, I found insights about prayer that made me think about my own attitudes about prayer:

"I previously approached prayer as a kind of drug. I used it to help me feel close to God, to give me experiences of his presence. But as with a drug, I could choose when to take it, and I could sometimes go without it.

Prayer now has become more like air. It's not really an option: I can't breathe without it: I can't live without it."
Jim Beckman

I hope that you'll consider putting this book on your summer reading list.

As a special summer promotion, from June 1-August 31 you will be able to purchase this book at St. Patrick's Book & Gift for 20% off the regular retail price. We will have several copies available in the store and will also accept special orders if we sell out.

Let us know what you think of the book, or if you have recommendations for future selections.

No comments: